The heart of the ToolBank is the tool lending program. Not-for-profit organizations (and disaster/crisis volunteers) have year-round access to the ToolBank’s inventory of tools and equipment for a nominal fee. Fees are waived in times of crisis. ToolBank tools are only available to not-for-profit organizations, such as:
- Nonprofit/Charitable/Tax exempt organizations
- Schools and PTAs/PTOs
- Neighborhood associations
- Faith-based groups
- Civic organizations
- Government agencies/crisis response groups
ToolBank tools are inexpensive, convenient, and fully functional, maximizing agencies’ financial and human resources and empowering them to improve community engagement and to achieve greater impact for those they serve.
How It Works
- Become a ToolBank Member Agency: First time borrowers must complete our brief online membership application before they can borrow tools. There is no membership fee. This process captures documentation of their not-for-profit status and creates a user account for the agency contact in our online tool ordering system.
- Submit a Tool Order: Agency logs in to their ToolBank account and submits a tool order online.
- Pick Up Tools: Agency picks up their tool order at the ToolBank at their scheduled pickup time. Try to give us at least 48 hours before the pick up. We can’t always accommodate last minute requests, but give us a call if you need something sooner. ToolBank staff and volunteers will prepare the order in advance and help the agency load tools and equipment into their vehicle. ToolBank staff provides agency with usage and care guidelines and an itemized receipt.
- Return Tools: After the completion of the project, the agency returns borrowed tools at the scheduled return time. Please ensure you give us a call to set up a time for drop off, so we are able to check your items in efficiently and get you on your way. ToolBank staff and volunteers will assist agency in unloading tools and check tools back into inventory.
Agencies are required to pay a tool handling fee (except in times of crisis recovery) to borrow ToolBank tools and equipment.
Tool Handling Fee = 3% of the retail value of each tool borrowed x # of weeks borrowed
For example, an agency borrows 30 rakes for 1 week. Rakes are valued in our tool ordering system at $9.98 each. The tool handling fee for 1 rake is $0.2994 per week. The total tool handling fee is $8.98.
$8.98 = 0.03 x 9.98 x 30
In addition to tool handling fees, agencies may also incur late fees, replacement fees, and cleaning fees – all of which are easily avoidable. To learn more about our fees and other policies specific to our tool lending program, check out our Tools & Fees page.
All Disaster related borrowing is free.
A 501(c)(3) Nonprofit – EIN#46-1152387