Houston Community ToolBank Board of Directors
Purpose of Position:
The Houston Community ToolBank’s Board of Directors are responsible for the legal and ethical oversight to ensure that the organization does the best work possible in pursuit of the mission. This position reports to the Houston ToolBank Board of Directors Executive Committee and Board Chair.
Time Commitment for Position:
ToolBank directors are asked to attend an every other month board meeting, join a committee, attend signature events, and provide strategic and operational support to the organization throughout the month. Total time- 4-10 hours a month.
Board of Director will perform the following tasks:
- Attend every other month board meetings (the second Wednesday of the month from 6:00 to 8:00 pm).
- Actively serve on a minimum of one committee.
- Stay informed about the activities and current issues at the Houston Community ToolBank by asking questions and requesting information.
- Participate in and take responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies and other board matters.
- Provide guidance and oversight of the fiscal health and wellbeing of the organization.
- Take part in the direct fundraising to support the organization in reaching annual goals. Support should include all of the following:
- Hammers & Ales Event: participate by securing sponsors, in-kind services, selling tickets and attending the function.
- Employers: ask employers for a donation as well as identify additional corporate giving and engagement opportunities such as employee giving fairs, payroll deduction, matching gifts and volunteer days.
- Professional and Personal Networks: share their commitment and enthusiasm to the organization with others in their personal and professional networks, inviting them to join in supporting ToolBank’s mission.
- Make a personal donation of $250 with a give or get goal of $2,500
- Interpret the organization’s work and values to the community, represent the organization, and act as an ambassador when appropriate.
- Engage community organizations, nonprofits, schools and faith-based groups to encourage membership and tool utilization.
- Attend resource fairs, speaking engagements, and networking sessions on behalf of ToolBank as needed.
- Basic tool knowledge is not required; a passion for high impact community change is a must!
Interested candidates should contact Executive Director, Erika Hornsey, for application and board recruitment timeline at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-674-0262.